The Government has today agreed that Level 5 as set out in the Plan for Living with COVID will apply nationwide from tonight until January 31st. Level 5 is the highest and most serious level and has the strictest measures implemented. The news comes after a record breaking 1,718 cases of the deadly virus being reported in Ireland within 24 hours alongside thirteen deaths. Cases have surpassed 90,000 and deaths have passed 2,200.
Commenting on the issue, An Taoiseach Micheál Martin said “We must apply the brakes to movement and physical interaction across the country. We must return to full scale, Level 5 restrictions for a period of at least one month.”
An Taoiseach @MichealMartinTD
“We must apply the brakes to movement and physical interaction across the country.
We must return to full scale, Level 5 restrictions for a period of at least one month.”
— MerrionStreet.ie #StaySafe #HoldFirm (@merrionstreet) December 30, 2020
The Level 5 restrictions are as follows:
- People are asked to STAY AT HOME except to exercise within five kilometers from their home
- People must work from home unless it is necessary to attend in person (essential workers eg doctors, nurses and retail assistants)
- No visitors are allowed to your house
- No organised events are to take place
- No indoors and outdoor gatherings are permitted, other than attending funerals (10 mourners) or weddings which is limited to six guests
- Only essential retail are to remain open
- Cafes, restaurants and bars/wet pubs are only to offer a takeaway or delivery service
- Hotels, guesthouses and B&Bs are open for essential purposes only
- Public transport is limited to 25% capacity. It is reccomended to avoid public transport and to cycle or walk if possible
- Schools, creches and universities will remain open however further reccomendations will be made based on cases numbers in an area
- Schools have extended their Winter Break to January 11th
- Visiting to care houses has been suspended
- Face coverings must be worn on public transport and in shops
These measures come into effect from tonight at 12am until January 31st in an attempt to combat the spread of the killer virus.
The measures that are to be implemented have come at the behest of the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) who have expressed concern at rising case numbers in recent weeks and have subsequently offered recommendations to the Government for implementation.
You can read more about Level 5 here.